Colorado was the first state to legalize the recreational use of marijuana back in 2012 with the passage of Amendment 64. Today, it’s legal for anyone over the age of 21 to purchase and use marijuana in the state, but there are still rules that you must follow if you plan to use a weed vaporizer while vacationing in Colorado. To ensure that you have a great vacation, follow these tips:
- You don’t have to be a resident of Colorado to purchase and use marijuana in Colorado; however, you must be at least 21 years of age. You likely will be asked to show photo ID to prove that you are of legal age.
- With an out-of-state ID, you can purchase .25 of an ounce of marijuana at a time. The limits are higher for those with Colorado state-issued IDs, which allow people to purchase a full ounce.
- You can buy marijuana at one of more than 130 licensed marijuana dispensaries. You can use the app Leafly to find licensed facilities. Always double check that a store is licensed to operate before you visit.
- Colorado marijuana stores can only operate between the hours 8AM and Midnight; however, some cities have stricter laws. For example, all marijuana stores in Denver must close by 7PM.
- To ensure compliance with the law, the best way to transport marijuana vaporizer or weed vape if you’re traveling by car is to put it in the trunk.
- Driving under the influence of marijuana is a crime in Colorado. Don’t do it. Use a service like Uber or Lyft, call a cab, or use public transportation.
- You can only purchase marijuana with cash, due to Federal Laws, so cash is king. No checks, credit cards, or debit cards are accepted. As time goes on, more and more marijuana dispensaries are accepting credit cards and debit cards. So ask before you start selecting.
- It is not legal to use a weed vape or to smoke weed in public in Colorado. There are no businesses that will allow you to smoke weed on their premises, and the practice is forbidden at most hotels. The best way to enjoy marijuana while in Colorado is to stay at a marijuana-friendly bed and breakfast or inn or to find accommodations through a site like AirBNB. Vaping in a parked car could lead to the assumption that you’re driving under the influence, so it’s best to avoid it.
- You cannot take any marijuana home with you. It is illegal to bring marijuana through airport security or to transport it out of Colorado in your personal vehicle.
Please note that this guide is not meant to substitute for legal advice. It’s always possible that the Colorado marijuana laws could be updated or amended in the future, making it important that you double check the rules and regulations before you use a vaporizer for weed in the Centennial State.