Chandrashila is the summit of beautiful Tungnath. Chandrashila literally stands for Moon Rock, which is based in Uttarakhand, India in the Garhwal Himalaya. From this peak, you can have a splendid sight of the Himalayas, especially Chaukhambha peak, Bandarpoonch peak, Kedar peak, Trisul, and Nanda-Devi. There are also many legends associated with this place, among which the most popular legend is that this place is where after defeating Ravana- the demon king, God Rama meditated here. Another legend has it that Chandra who is the moon-god had spent time in Chandrashila in penance. Whatever the legend is, but one thing is sure that the beauty of this place is just incredible which offers a panoramic 360 degrees view of beautiful Himalayas.
Dos and Don’ts:
- While trekking, carrying trekking pole highly recommended, moving without it among the mountains is not right.
- You are required to wear quick drying types of clothes and should avoid anybody hugging type of clothes and jeans. You can wear light clothes and comfortable shoes. This is recommended so that you can move around comfortably and freely.
- If you do not know much about the place, then you are advised to not roam around. You should then have a guide along to explore places as the mountains are very much unpredictable and also the weather. Guidance is required the most while on such treks, especially if you are a beginner.
- You must carry sufficient amount of water along before beginning the summit and stay hydrated throughout. Also don’t travel without the raincoat, as weather could change drastically any time.
- Always listen to your trek leaders, and consult them for any doubts, such as taking any medications even if it is for a mild headache.
There are tents, lodges, and guest houses available for your comfortable stay, where many prefer to stay in tents. You may not come across many options for lodges and guest houses in some of the campsite areas. Although in Chopta and Sari you will find some of the good guesthouses. You can take an overall package, which is mainly recommended before commencing with the summit so that they can arrange your stays and give you guidance. Also to be noted that trekking should be done with at least one or two people who are aware of the areas.
The best thing about exploring Chandrashila trek would be its incomparable beauty. Although you can visit here at any time of the year, yet the popular time is during winter and autumn. The ideal duration to explore its beauty thoroughly would require five to six days of time span. This is explored by many trekking enthusiasts every year, where it commences from Chopta to Tungnath which is popular Shiva Temple. This is one of the best treks for all nature enthusiasts, where you get to explore Chopta, Tungnath, Deoriatal, etc. You can select between easy to difficult grades of trekking based on your experience with it, and be away from the city life clamour.